Thursday, April 16, 2009

Contentment

A couple entries ago I told you about John, the man we met at the Community Group I get to lead on Tuesday nights. He met as at church on Sunday for Easter and joined us for the service. It broke my heart when he told me he couldn't sit next to me because he smelled and decided it would be better to sit in front of us. I insisted that it wasn't a problem, but as he moved I have to admit it was a blessing to me that he sat in front of us because I got to witness his excitement and praise as he worshipped the Lord clapping and dancing like a care-free child! :) He didn't come this last Tuesday to the community group, and I feel that we will cross paths again, but I can't explain to you the dent he has made in my life in the short memories I have of him so far!

So contentment... I'm still learning what this looks like for me lived out. Weird to say, even after being back home for four months, I feel like I'm still learning scheduling and how to balance... and with that, Phillipians 4:11, and 12 (remember this one from the previous post?). Great friends of mine, Tony and Alison, have been such a blessing in my life in teaching me that boundaries help make balance! Simple concept, right? Living it out works wonders! I started this week by making a weekly calendar color coordinating it to different events, and then making "green" the color I would use to represent the things that give rest and relax you.  I have been thinking a lot about this "green" block this week and thinking what things help me to relax. I talked to a variety of people asking how they relax or what they enjoy doing, and each answer was so different: playing pingpong, video games, playing guitar (these were all guys), then: baking, exercising and washing dishes (these were some of the answers from girls). I could relate to some of those things, if only I could turn my brain off while doing them..

I listened to an old MercyMe CD and it really blessed me... maybe music is my green? The Song is called "Here am I, send me." Take a look!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU8jqYgFnPA

I can relate to this song in so many ways! I felt like Isaiah in chapter 6, crying out "Lord, here I am, send me, use me! I want to be able to serve your kingdom!" The it clicked! This is where I feel refreshed! Living for something that is so much bigger! There is just something about serving that changes focus and blesses my heart, taking it away from being concerned with the things of this world and onto something that is eternal. I read this book "90 minutes in Heaven" this last week.. and that is another story, but that also blessed me in thinking less of this world and refocusing my thoughts to those that are eternal! The last part of the verse from Philippians is the one I have been focusing on... "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." 4:13. That's the thing... finding green in my life is when I find my strength in Him, and not in myself! Only in Him can I find true contentment... and green! I hope this video encouraged you! :)

No comments: