Friday, July 3, 2009

First time to see the ocean!


A friend from work, after being in Thailand, had developed a heart for the country and the people there. He has been tutoring a young boy from Burma English and invited him and his father to go to the beach here in Santa Cruz. I was invited to go along as well. On the ride over I learned that this would be their first time ever that they would see the ocean! I watched in curiosity their face expressions as we drove up and got out of the car. A strong Burmise culture that didn't seem to give much emotion, expressed itself quite differently as I saw a smile come to their faces as they stood on the cliffs overlooking the water. What a sweet thing it is to witness a father and a son together. The father encouraged his son to get in the water as he skeptically walked around, and the father jumped in the water splashing around in the freezing water without a wetsuit.

It's funny how something that I learn to take advantage of began to come into a new light as I started to appreciate their simplicity and point-of-view. I felt so blessed to be able to share in their excitement and try to remember experiencing something so great for the first time! I sat on the beach reading "through the Gates of Splendor" by Elizabeth Elliot imagining what it must have been like for these men as they set foot into Ecuador and began to learn the language before beginning their ministry. Although frustrating at times, that time of preparing creates some of the best and fruitful memories. I'm so thankful to be back in San Jose for this season. I have been blessed beyond measure with amazing friends, godly older women, trials that are growing and humbling me, and a God who promises to never leave or forsake me! I pray that my eyes would never become immune to the blessings He is constantly pouring out!

1 comment:

E-Da said...

Yay the OCEAN!!!! i love the Ocean. i hope everything is going well! take care!