Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 1


"Oh God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory." Psalm 63:1-2
There is a longing at the bottom of the heart of every believer who is the least bit responsive to the initiatives of the Holy Spirit. Once we begin to understand that our passions were meant to be satisfied in Him, and that only in Him is found the pleasure that every person seeks, we find our focus narrowing and our options becoming few.
In these verses, the psalmist is acknowledging that there is no true enjoyment outside the presence of the Lord. He has sought for pleasure in the dry and thirsty land, and has realized that even in those dry places he has in fact been looking for the Lord. Having found nothing in those dry wells, he wisely turns to the place where the Lord may be found-in the sanctuary, the place of worship and meditation, Only the consideration of the beauty and power of the person of Jesus is enough to satisfy the longings of the heart, and those who seek with passion and wisdom will turn their search to where joy may be found.
Prayer: Jesus, my heart is filled with desire, and only You will satisfy my thirsty soul. By Your help I will be wise this day, and seek You where You may be found-in the place of worship and meditative prayer. Let me not be satisfied too easily, but increase the longing in my heart until I seek only You.
Day 1 devotional "Forerunner Meditations: Discovering the Father's heart" by Gary Wiens

No comments: