Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 26


Husbands, love you wives, just as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot of wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loved his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the Church. For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the Church. Ephesians 5:25-32
In verse 27 we are given a clear insight into the ultimate purpose that Jesus has in His mind for you as part of His corporate Bride. The entire goal of His plan of salvation, indeed of the whole history of His interaction with human being, is to have a Bride ready to present to Himself on that day. The text says that He will present a "glorious Church" without any fault, or blemish, or wrinkle- in other words, flawless even as He is flawless!
The term "glory" is used in the Bible to speak of the revealed beauty of God, the manifestation of His ultimate beauty that is called the "holiness of God." The Spirit of God is going to make you and me beautiful, that is, fully conformed to His character and nature, perfectly finished as the suitable partner for His incomparable Son. All of the Father's energy throughout history has been focused on this reality, and everything He has done in relationship with His people as a whole, and with us as individuals, is to get us ready for that day.
This past June I had the privilege of performing the wedding ceremony for my son and his bride. As I stood on the platform watching the bridesmaids enter, I wondered what the Lord was going to speak to my heart in the following moments. When Stephanie entered the sanctuary on the arm of her father, the power of the Holy Spirit hit my heart, and I heard the Lord speak to my heart, "Behold the glory of a bride made ready for a Son who is worthy!" My heart was stunned by this statement, and by the realization that this is my destiny, along with all those who claim His name as their own.
Prayer: Jesus, open my heart to this amazing truth, that You are going to make me beautiful for Your won pleasure, and on that day, together with all the saints, I will be just what You desire. I long to comprehend this more and more. Instruct my heart, oh Lord, that I might wait with joy for the revelation of Your love.
Day 26 devotional "Forerunner Meditations: Discovering the Father's heart" by Gary Wiens

No comments: