Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 3


When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. My soul follows close behind You; your hand upholds me. Psalm 63:6-8
Who hasn't known those times when sleep is distant and the hours of the night seem far too long? It's often during those sleepless nights that the enemy can come with all his weaponry-worry, anxiety, stress over what needs to be done, and fear that the resources to meet the needs are not going to be in place. In those times he also seems to bring his supply of false comforts, like fantasies and hunger for inadequate stuff, and we find ourselves wanting to eat and drink of the wrong kinds of pleasures.
It seems pretty clear that the writer of this psalm was familiar with those kinds of nights, and yet he found an antidote for the pain. His key? Remember the Lord and meditate upon the beauty of the man Christ Jesus. David's strategy was to let his mind become full of thoughts of the Lord, reviewing the history of God's faithfulness to him, and settling his heart in the comfort of God's constant nature. He sets his soul-mind, will and emotions-squarely in the path of the Holy Spirit, and places himself in God's hand, for only there is he surely secure.
Prayer: Father, I look to You to send Your Spirit to my aid in the night hours, when the enemy's worst seems to plague my soul. You are faithful and kind; Your nature is unchanging, and I will trust in You, following close behind You as You lead me. Thank You, Father!
Day 3 devotional "Forerunner Meditations: Discovering the Father's heart" by Gary Wiens

No comments: